Skip to main content

Maple Glazed Roast Turkey with Applewood Smoked Bacon


***First of all, I want to wish you all the happiest Thanksgiving that you've ever had!  I hope that your holiday is filled with the people that you love and the food that you love to eat!

What a long day!  I got home today from work at about 5:30PM and immediately started preparing a pre-Thanksgiving dinner.  Turkey and dressing is by FAR Brad's favorite meal in the whole world.  He says he looks forward to it all year long...haha.  This year, I promised to make him our own little Thanksgiving dinner celebration, just the two of us (and our 2 pups!) before all of the family festivities begin.

After almost 5 hours in the kitchen, I'm relieved that round one of Thanksgiving cooking was a success!  Now, on to 2 more nights of cooking!  Tomorrow, I hope to start putting up the Christmas decorations after a yummy dinner of leftovers from tonight's meal...I'm so excited to put the tree up!  This is my favorite time of year, no contest.  I love the holidays and everything that they mean....Faith, Family and Friends!  It doesn't get much better than that.

The menu tonight included:
Maple Glazed Roast Turkey with Applewood Smoked Bacon
Sweet Potato Biscuits (Stay tuned for this recipe!)
Roasted Asparagus

I adore this recipe for roasted turkey, because it's the way that my Dad always roasts his Thanksgiving turkey.  The flavor is absolutely incredible.  The maple syrup makes the finished bird perfectly shiny and golden brown.  The bacon ends up a little crispy and sweet from the maple syrup, which makes for a stellar combination.
Bon Appetit!***
Before going into the oven...

Ingredients: 
12 lb. whole turkey
6 slices applewood smoked bacon, thick sliced
1 cup 100% grade A maple syrup
1 large tart apple, quartered
1 medium onion, quartered
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature and cut into 1/4 inch slices
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Wash turkey well under cold running water, including the outside and inner cavity of turkey. Pat dry. Be sure to remove the neck and giblets from the inside of the turkey.  Tuck wings underneath body.

Starting at neck end, very carefully slide hand between skin and breast meat.  Carefully slide butter slices between skin and breast meat to cover.  Season skin and cavity of the turkey generously with salt and pepper. Place the quartered apple and onion in the seasoned cavity. Using a brush, paint the turkey breast, thighs and legs with some of the maple syrup. Then cover the entire breast with the slices of bacon, slightly over-lapping the bacon slices.  Make sure the entire breast is covered, using more bacon if needed.

Position turkey, on a rack, in a roasting pan with 1/2 cup pf water, uncovered and place in the preheated 325 degree F oven.  Roast for about 3 1/2 hours (time may vary depending on the size of your turkey), basting the turkey with pan drippings and maple syrup every 30 minutes. If the bacon begins to get too brown, cover loosely with aluminum foil.

In the last half hour, baste the turkey one more time with maple syrup. Continue to roast until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees in the thigh or 170 degrees in the breast.

Remove pan from oven and allow the turkey to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i love this turkey recipe. i've made it before, and even my husband, who hates turkey, raved about it. thanks for posting!
Unknown said…
What would the measurements be for a 15lb Turkey?

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out